Image Source: FreeImages
Moab, Utah has become famous for its beautiful outdoor adventure. The area is home to some of the most epic outdoor activities in the world. It’s hard not to fall in love with this small town that feels like a big adventure. Moab has plenty of exciting things to do and see all year round. And lucky for you, it’s a great place to vacation from Salt Lake City or from anywhere else! If you are ready to take your next vacation to the next level and have some serious adrenaline cravings, then look no further than Moab, Utah for some serious bucket-list-worthy activities. This ultimate guide will help you plan the perfect Moab getaway by providing insider information on everything you need to know before booking your trip.
Where is Moab?
Moab is a small town in the state of Utah, just south of the Colorado border. It is a 3-hour drive from the city of Salt Lake City. If you are flying in, make sure to check the airline baggage size requirements for your flights. You may want to pack a small backpack or duffel bag for your trip to the airport and for your hikes.Moab can be reached by car from many locations. One of the most popular routes is from Denver, Colorado. From Denver, you can take Highway 41 south to Highway 191 which will take you straight to Moab. It is also possible to drive from the north via I-70, but the drive will take significantly longer.
Things to do in Moab
– Arches National Park – One of the greatest treasures of Utah, and one of the top things to do in Moab, is Arches National Park. Arches is famous for its crazy-massive rock formations and beautiful sandstone cliffs. There are over 2,000 natural sandstone arches in this park alone! Make sure to check out the famous Balanced Rock formation at the park entrance, the famous Delicate Arch, and the scenic Jacob’s Arch. Ar-Bar is a popular restaurant in the park near the west entrance.- Canyonlands National Park – Another one of the top things to do in Mo-ab is nearby Canyonlands National Park. You can even visit both of these parks in the same day from Moab – just make sure to bring a car full of friends to help you carry your stuff! Canyonlands is famous for its winding canyons and massive natural landscapes. Make sure to hike, explore, and take plenty of pictures at the iconic Island in the Sky, the towering Needles, and the magical Coyote Buttes.- Dead Horse Point State Park – Dead Horse Point State Park is another one of the top things to do in Moab. This park is famous for the stunning overlook that looks out over the Colorado River and towards the desert wilderness below. Visitors to this park can hike, drive, walk, and even bike along the scenic overlook. Make sure to bring some extra change to throw in the park’s famous change-returning coin fountain.- Hiking – Moab is famous for its amazing hiking trails. You can hike in Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Dead Horse Point State Park, or in the surrounding desert.- Jeep Tours – If hiking is not your thing, you can explore the desert in an all-terrain vehicle! Make sure to bring a friend, though – these jeep tours are meant for two people at a time.- Rafting – If you are visiting during the right time of year, you can take a whitewater rafting trip on the famous Colorado River!
There are a few ways to get to Moab
– Drive – Driving is the easiest way to get to Moab. Utah Highway 191 is the main road that runs all the way from the city of SLC, UT to Moab. Make sure to drive safe and be aware of your surroundings on the highway, especially if you are driving during busy holiday periods when traffic gets congested.- Bus – If you are coming from another state, you can take the bus to Moab. You can find bus tickets online, and the popular bus company is called Greyhound.- Airplane – If you want to get to Moab as quickly as possible, flying is the best way to go. If you are flying from out of state, be sure to check the airline baggage size requirements for your flights. You may want to pack a small backpack or duffel bag for your trip to the airport and for your hikes.
Staying near the action: Our recommendations
– El Roy Wayside Lodge – This is a great choice for larger groups visiting Moab. This is a very affordable option that is located right next to the Moab Brewery.- The Green Pig Inn – This bed and breakfast is a more upscale option with lots of great reviews. It is located in the downtown area of Moab.- Desert Rabbit Hostel – If you are looking to save some money on your trip, the Desert Rabbit Hostel is a very affordable option with lots of great reviews. This hostel is located near the downtown area of Moab also.- Hated Roof Inn – Another affordable hostel with lots of great reviews. This hostel is close to the downtown area of Moab.
Food and coffee in Moab
– Moab Brewery – If you are looking for a quick place to eat near the downtown area, the Moab Brewery is a great choice.- Blue Sky Cafe – If you are looking for a more upscale restaurant, the Blue Sky Cafe is a popular option.- Moab Diner – If you are looking for a classic diner experience, be sure to check out the Moab Diner.- The Garden Restaurant – If you are looking for a nice and cozy atmosphere for lunch, check out the Garden Restaurant.- Roundup Restaurant – If you want to try some southwestern food, be sure to check out the Roundup Restaurant.- Cafe Sol y Sombra – This is a great option for coffee and breakfast in the downtown area of Moab.
Safety and comfort tips for your trip
– Be aware of the weather – The weather in Moab can be pretty extreme. Be sure to check the forecast before you visit to make sure that you dress appropriately for the conditions. This will help you to stay safe and comfortable during your trip.- Bring plenty of water – It is very important to stay hydrated while you are in the desert. Make sure to bring plenty of water with you while you are exploring so that you do not get dehydrated.- Stay protected from the sun – The desert sun can be very intense without proper protection. Make sure to wear sunscreen and a hat to protect your skin and head from the sun.- Bring plenty of snacks – There are not many food options in Moab, so make sure to bring plenty of snacks with you when you explore the area.
There is plenty to do and see in this small town that feels like a big adventure. If you are ready to take your next vacation to the next level and have some serious adrenaline cravings, then look no further than Moab, Utah for some serious bucket-list-worthy activities. This ultimate guide will help you plan the perfect Moab getaway by providing insider information on everything you need to know before booking your trip.